Table of Contents
- The Beginning of an Adventure: From Italy to Spain
- Restaurant Pizzeria Da Pachino: Tradition and Innovation
- The Challenges of Entrepreneurship in the Restaurant Business
- Italian Cuisine Abroad: Between Authenticity and Counterfeiting
- The Reality & Restaurants Certification: A Quality Mark
- Management Philosophy: Passion, Respect, and Growth
- Conclusion: A Model to Follow
Italian cuisine abroad often represents a challenge between tradition and adaptation to the local market. Today we tell the story of Aurelio Careglio, a young Italian entrepreneur who brought authentic Italian culinary tradition to Spain, in the province of Alicante, with his restaurant pizzeria Da Pachino.
The Beginning of an Adventure: From Italy to Spain
Italian Roots
Aurelio hails from Casale Monferrato, in the province of Alessandria. His story in the restaurant business begins at just 14 years old in 2007, when family financial needs pushed him into the world of cooking. This wasn't random: Aurelio was born and raised in a family where the restaurant business is in their DNA.
His parents were chefs, his sister worked alongside his brother-in-law, and it was the latter who gave him his first opportunity, teaching him the art of pizza-making. "We all grew up in the restaurant business," Aurelio says with pride. This is a passion that "cannot be copied because we are born into it, we practically have it in our blood."
The Move to Spain in 2014
In 2014, Aurelio left Italy to move to San Vicente del Raspage, in the province of Alicante. The choice was driven by concrete motivations.
"When I was still in Italy, work was scarce, salaries were low," Aurelio explains. In Spain, he found a different situation: "Life was a bit cheaper, salaries were higher, so there are more opportunities." Additionally, "Italians here with Italian cuisine are very well regarded."
After two years searching for the right opportunity, in 2016 he began working in the establishment that would become his own. When the previous owners decided to retire, Aurelio seized the opportunity, taking over the business and transforming it into his personal project.
Restaurant Pizzeria Da Pachino: Tradition and Innovation
The Gastronomic Offering
Restaurant pizzeria Da Pachino represents a perfect balance between respect for Italian tradition and culinary innovation. Aurelio specialized in dishes practically unavailable in the area, offering customers an authentic yet surprising experience.
Fresh Pasta, Risottos, and Molecular Cuisine
The establishment features fresh pasta prepared in-house and a wide selection of risottos. Last year Aurelio earned a degree in modern and avant-garde cuisine, specializing in molecular cooking techniques like gelification and spherification.
Among his most appreciated creations are:
- Salmon tartare with limoncello
- Bruschetta with candied tomato and burrata
- Classic veal tonnato
- Pappardelle with Bolognese sauce
- Risotto with porcini mushrooms and truffle
"I try to always maintain the basics of cooking, give the tradition of Italy, but also giving it a more modern touch," Aurelio explains. "People like novelty, they like to discover new things. So you have to let them know about them, but let them know well."
Pizzas: Classic and Gourmet
Da Pachio's menu includes two pizza lines: one dedicated to classic recipes and a gourmet line where creativity expresses itself through innovative combinations and high-quality ingredients.
Respect for the Territory: Zero Kilometer
Despite his pride in Italian products, Aurelio respects the zero-kilometer principle for local products. "I use many Italian products, but the products that aren't Italian I'm respecting zero kilometer and I'm using all the country's products like meats, vegetables." Every morning he personally selects fresh raw materials from local suppliers.
The Challenges of Entrepreneurship in the Restaurant Business
The Renovation: Sweat and Sacrifice
When Aurelio took over the establishment, he faced one of his biggest challenges: renovation with limited financial resources.
"I renovated the place myself," he says with pride. Together with his wife and friends, he worked tirelessly from December 15th to January 12th, entering at nine in the morning and leaving at eleven at night. "Painting, renovating, breaking, doing," every day dedicated to transforming that space into his vision.
Attracting Clientele: Word of Mouth and Media
Once completed, the next challenge was getting known. Aurelio focused on quality and authenticity. Success came quickly. Local television Informazion TV contacted the restaurant to include Da Pachino in a series of seven episodes dedicated to gastronomy, selecting the seven most interesting restaurants in the province.
Italian Cuisine Abroad: Between Authenticity and Counterfeiting
The Problem of "Fake Italian"
One of the most delicate aspects of Aurelio's work concerns the perception of Italian cuisine abroad. "Until a few years ago it bothered me because many Italians were selling Italian cuisine according to the needs of the Spaniards," he explains. The most emblematic example is carbonara: "Selling a carbonara with bacon and cream, and people thinking this was the original carbonara."
Educating Customers' Palates
Aurelio chose an effective path: educating customers. "It cost us some work to explain how it was, to make them try it," he admits. But the results have been gratifying.
His philosophy is uncompromising: "I don't know why we should change a dish when if we make it this way and it's good." If a person doesn't like a dish, the solution isn't to distort the traditional recipe. "I can't change a dish, call it always the same way like carbonara and make it a whole other thing." As he emphasizes: "Just as I can't make a paella and put things in it that don't go in a paella, it wouldn't be paella anymore."
Fortunately, things are changing: "Now many Italians are changing their mentality. They're properly respecting our tradition."
The Reality & Restaurants Certification: A Quality Mark
Joining the Network
Aurelio recently joined Reality & Restaurants, a network bringing together Italian restaurateurs abroad committed to promoting authentic Italian cuisine.
"I think it's a beautiful thing you're doing," he says. "I'm Italian, I gave an Italian touch to the entire place, so it's a beautiful representation." The certification becomes a visible symbol of authenticity.
Customer Reaction
The impact has been immediate and positive. "Now people appreciate it so much when they see the Real Italian sign," Aurelio recounts. Customer curiosity is palpable, and the result is that "many people have already taken photos of the certificate and they really appreciate it."
The word of mouth generated is precious: "Now people tell me: look there, there's the real Italian."
Management Philosophy: Passion, Respect, and Growth
From Employee to Entrepreneur
The transition from employee to owner radically changed Aurelio's relationship with work. "Before I didn't really have much desire to come to work anymore," he admits. Now it's different. "At nine, nine-thirty I'm already inside the place." The restaurant has become an extension of himself: "I'm growing it as if it were my child."
Staff Management: A Human Approach
Having spent almost nineteen years as an employee, Aurelio knows perfectly the dynamics of those who work in the restaurant business. "I know exactly what an employee goes through one hundred percent."
From day one, he established a clear pact with his employees: "This is my project, it's a project I want to grow as much as possible. There's the possibility of making money because whoever says that professional cooks and pizza makers don't earn money is lying."
Training New Generations
Aurelio hired an assistant cook "without experience." Instead of looking for someone already trained, he preferred to shape a young person according to his philosophy. "I'm teaching him everything, all the basics of cooking." Together they constantly experiment with new recipes.
The Importance of Error in Learning
A fundamental aspect of Aurelio's teaching method is valorizing error as a learning tool. "I let him make mistakes many times." Even when he sees the student making a mistake, he lets him complete the dish. "I watch him and I see he's getting the whole recipe wrong and I let him finish. When he's done I say: are you done? Yes. Now throw everything away and do it again from scratch."
The result is evident: "The second time he makes it for me, he does it perfectly." As the proverb says: "Those who make mistakes learn."
Creating a Positive Work Environment
For Aurelio, the work environment is fundamental. "When someone has a good environment in their own work, they get the desire to go to work." His goal is clear: "I don't want you to wake up in the morning and say: oh, I have to go to work again. I want them to get the desire to come to work."
Aurelio doesn't want to be a "babysitter" to his employees. "They're adults, not children. They also have to apply themselves." When an error occurs during service, the reaction must be immediate and professional.
Investing in Employees' Future
Perhaps the most notable aspect is his long-term vision regarding employees. "I'll teach you all the experience I've had in restaurants, but you're not my property, that if one day you want to grow, you want to go to a better-known restaurant or directly want to open your own place, if we behave well with each other, I can also help you with these things."
This mentality is rooted in his experience: "I grew up in my town where we had forty-two pizzerias and we helped each other from one pizzeria to another." Collaboration was the norm: sharing ingredients and supporting each other when needed.
Conclusion: A Model to Follow
The story of Aurelio Careglio and his Restaurant Pizzeria Da Pachino is much more than entrepreneurial success. It's proof that it's possible to bring authentic Italian cuisine abroad without compromise, keeping tradition firm while embracing innovation.
His approach to staff management, based on respect, training, and individual valorization, represents a virtuous model in a sector often characterized by difficult working conditions.
His firm position against "fake Italian" and dedication to educating customers demonstrate that quality and authenticity can be winning values even in a competitive market.
For those in the province of Alicante, a visit to Da Pachino is not just an opportunity to enjoy excellent dishes, but an opportunity to experience authentic Italian culture, where each recipe tells a story of passion, tradition, and love for one's work.
As Aurelio says to his future guests: "You are all welcome."
source https://www.realitalianrestaurants.com/blog/from-casale-monferrato-to-alicante-the-story-of-aurelio-and-his-restaurant-pizzeria-da-pachino
No comments:
Post a Comment